For Weds you have traded pages with the person below. Give them comments. Ask them questions. Is their diagram useful or does it need something to make it not extraneous on the page. Find out three more things about their topic that they didn't find.
A. Back Work:
-Photos: Angus, Aidan
-Portal: Rosemary, Griffin
-10 Fun facts about project: Rosemary, Aidan, Merry ?
-Corrected # 3: Angus? Rosemary, Griffin, Jack
-Red Pony Back: Angus? Rosemary, Griffin?
-Lit from Thurs: Aidan, Rosemary, kelsey
-Math: Rosemary: five assignments (or more?)
—weekly notes from last Week: Wren/Rosemary
B. Coming up Due:
—Bring Prunes Jersey to school and return
—SELF EVAL with cover, quote, and art image
—RESEARCH YOUR BANNED BOOK: Due Monday
Lit 7 —read CHAPT.4 and 5--Pick five important scenes or moments and write about why you thought they were important.
Lit 8/9— Read Chapters 7 and 8-- Find five important moments that are CONNECTED IN SOME WAY and talk about why each is connected and what they show TOGETHER
Kelsey: Sand Glass and time keeping without clocks
Leeya: Cross staff
Henry: Traverse board
Eden: Lead Line
Wren, Althea: Nocturnal
Anika: compass rose
Catherine: mariner’s compass
Sydney, Owen: reflecting circle (make sure you find out what you can about the “lunar distance method”
Wyatt, Jack: log line
Sam, Maxine: Sextant
Hannah: Viking sunstone compass
Marina: daylight savings time
I am awarding points for the woods quests on Tuesday at the end of the day. Bring your poker chips and the other thing you team found (or find it!).
—BRING PHOTOGRAPH to SCHOOL SO WE CAN DO THE ART PROJECT. We have almost all of them.
— these people need to turn in PD # 3
—-These people need to turn in ?s for Utopia Project
—Everyone has until MONDAY to Finish their portal
—Science/Tal/Bread and Puppet Assignment: DUE THIS MONDAY
Make your “map” of Bread and Puppet. “Map” is loosely interpreted here. A physical, drawn, sketched, written portrayal of the things and feelings of B and P. For Tal, write down every observation you can remember: Go small and specific: Things you heard, thought, noticed. Objects you saw, facts you collected, conversations your heard, snippets of or about people, clothing, weather, sun, gardens, posters, place, things, art, nature. All of these observations should somehow be attached to or part of the MAP. Combine the words and the map and the feelings and the observations in whatever way you can devise.
—SELF EVAL: You should be working on Self-Eval. This was sent out on Last Monday. It is due Oct. 26 ONE-TWO questions per day is recommended.
—RESEARCH YOUR BANNED BOOK: Due this Friday
a. Who wrote it? when? title? Picture of author?
b. What was it about?
c. When and where was it banned?
d. WHY was it Banned?
e. Is it still banned or can it be gotten and read today?
f. Anything FUN FACTS that are important:
f. PRINT A COPY OF THE COVER of the BOOK
Lit 7 —read CHAPT. 2…read it thoroughly! Response: What is Scout Learning? What is she “teaching?” What does she understand and not understand? What are the “social classes” in her town based off what we have read so far. You might think of this as “rankings based on wealth” or “rankings based on quality of values and how one carries one’s self”—Who is at the bottom? Who is at the top? How does this chapter RELATE to the first Chapter about meeting Dill and getting Boo to come out?
Lit 8/9— Read Chapters 3-4: Open response: But you are looking hard at how Scout is learning all the time, and how one thing she learns is related to other things she learns. And she and Jem are always FINDING Things..What is the meaning of the things they find? And what is the meaning of “playing Boo Radley” and…what are they getting closer to???
Great day today - you were all exceptionally delightful to be around! Don't forget to finish your maps and the assignment Tal handed out for homework. And, bring those papers and your knife to class on monday. See you then.
questions are below, after data you need.
Here is your work list, plus self eval.
1. Lit for Tuesday
2. Turn in 10 fantastic facts about project topic
3. Turn in PD # 3 plus any linger corrections from other PDs
4. Bring in a picture of your self/ head shot
5. Color your Eu-topian Portal beautifully
6. Bring in a bag that has your emergency snow-hike clothes.
6. Self Eval (due Oct. 26)
a. EarlY Fall SELF EVAL:Make a cover—photo, art, collage, or design to staple to front of this when you turn it in. Something that says something that your feel, mean, or are.
b. Copy these questions and make a document and answer each question. Type answers in different font than the question font.
c. BE thorough in your answer. This is an opportunity to think and reflect and consider. Do not rush or speed through or wait to last minute or you will get nothing out of this except letting us know that you are not connected to what you are doing/
d. Feel free to give examples and scenes and details.
Whosework do you admire so far: who, and what work, specifically? what have you noticed about their work, what they do, and how they approach their work
2. Who have you admired as a person, personally: in the way they carry themselves, in how they think, act, and do? What about them is admirable? How they treat people? How they respond to the world, ideas, conflict, or difficulty? What about them makes them stand out?
3. What is one thing (activity, topic, food, music, art, etc ) that you have come to appreciate more this year. What have you learned or seen about it, and how have you come to see and learn it and appreciate it?
4. What is your biggest accomplishment so far, as a student, in your school work or school activity, that you have accomplished so far. Why was this thing a big accomplishment, FOR YOU?
5. What is your biggest accomplishment or alteration in how you live your life, that you have accomplished so far, in the way you are as a PERSON (as opposed to a student). In other words, how have your grown or changed in the last 5-6 weeks) outside school.
. What is the most beautiful thing you have seen/heard/felt lately: it could have been something in the woods: an action someone did? A song or a poem or a scene from a film (or advertisement!!?!!!??) or experience? Describe why it was so beautiful and affected you so much??
7. What is a bad habit or pattern you have as student that you can correct with the proper attention?
8. What is a bad habit or pattern you have as a person that you can correct or are working on correcting, if you will give it the proper attention.
9. Find a quote that summarizes a feeling, idea, or philosophy you have, about something that is important to you: For instance, Leeya wrote in L
atin on her sundial, “Do not waste--non deficiet”—And Maxine wrote: “If there is no struggle, there is no progress.”
10. What have you learned about writing so far this year?
11. What have you learned about human beings so far this year?
12. What was your favorite moment of the school year? It could have been a fleeting moment that no one saw, or it might have been a big deal that we all witnessed. Explain why it was so great and memorable.
13. Write down as many words as you can that you associate with a EUTOPIAN place or journey: (what makes Eu-Topia GOOD?”) What do we need for Eu-Topia, the Good Place?
14. Find an image of a work of art that speaks to you: you can find it in a book here or on line. Photo-copy it or paste in a copy of it here, and explain who and what the image is, and why it speaks to you.
15. list five sounds you feel you need to be happy and can’t live without…here’s the deal—of the five, only can only be a song, and yes, it could be Taylor Swift.
Turn in PD # 2 corrections: Syndey, Jack (??), Griffin, Rosemary, Juliette, b, Marina, Angus, Eden
Okay—Lenea, Kelsey, Maxine, Aidan, Owen, Henry, Wyatt, Leeya, Anika, Will, Hannah, Althea, Catherine, Sam
Marina—lit self eval,
TKAMB #1 Anika,
TKAMB # 2--
3. New Work
a. PD # 3—perfected, proofread, your best piece of writing ever
b. 10 INCREDIBLE and relevant FACTS related to your project. (Kelsey, Leeya and Marina do NOT need to do this). Type them up and turn them in
LIT ON TUESDAY
LIT 7 re twice to end of chapt. 1 Response: Quote five IMPORTANT places in the reading (“quote the text,” cite page number) and tell why each of those parts is important and what it shows—why is the part you chose significant and important?
Lit 8/9 Read twice to end of Chapt. 2: Response: You are free to write anything: but something to think about is: What is the world like that Scout is coming into? What is the population of Macomb like? What are the “social classes?” or the Hierarchy of the school children? How much do they mimic the “adult world”? What does Scout understand about people and what is she learning that she did not understand? How is her experience in school and at home with Walter Cunningham related to Making Boo Radley Come Out?
Copy and paste this link into your browser: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ctzd99p3941j6l2/005a%20usgs%20topo%20map%20homework.docx?dl=0
This homework assignment might be hard...I will help - talk to me, email me, get help from a friend, but try to get it on your own first. 7th graders might not be able to do the last question without some math help, but see if you can figure it out and we'll do it in class on Friday.
Lit 8/9--if I don't give you a specific question to think about, trust that you have the freedom, and responsibility, to delve into it on your own terms. REad the book and respond as a curious, knowledge-seeking individual.
Bring and turn in your Self eval on TRP as well.
PD # 1 Final corrections:b. PD # 2—EVERYONE TURNS IN A DRAFT MONDAY THAT WILL FLIP OUR WIG
c. NO LIT Last Week: (thurs) Aidan, Rosemary
d. Utopia Projects not picked yet: Rosemary
e. Speeches still to Read: Wyatt, Jack, Sydney, Lena, Henry, Will
LENA, WYATT, JACK, and HENRY read on Monday
4. LIT TUESDAY
Lit 7— Finish BOOK—read twice; lit response: What is the most important part of the ending? Write about that.
Lit 8/9—Response and Read TWICE, to where it says:
From the day Mr. Radley took Arthur home, people said the house died.
5. Newsletter—Article about building Picasso Sculptures ???
Maxine: article about Lake Pliead ( I have the sheets)